2. Re: R-44 issue

Subject: 2. Re: R-44 issue
From: "Philip Tyler" macmang4125
Date: Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:47 pm ((PDT))
This may or may not help, I have a Sound Devices MixPre and when used with =
Audio Technica 3032 microphones it can end up almost 'motor boating'. Using=
 LF cut on the microphone or MixPre itself cures this problem. On the sound=
 devices web site they acknowledge this and suggest the LF cut as the way a=
round the problem. It can also help using the 15 volt phantom setting as we=
ll

It was explained to me that the majority of microphones phantom power requi=
rements are constant current, variable voltage. But those mics which offer =
a range of operating voltages tend to be constant voltage, variable current=
 (?) and these can stress the power supply. Which is certainly what happens=
 in the MixPre case and is cured by applying bass cut or helped by using th=
e lower voltage setting.

There was a page on the sound devices site listing those microphones which =
caused problems, but I can't find the link to it.

I don't know if that helps you or not?

There was a thread I started about the AT3032 / MixPre problem some time ag=
o here.

Phil