2. Re: Simultaneous recording with two digital recorders?

Subject: 2. Re: Simultaneous recording with two digital recorders?
From: "soundings23" soundings23
Date: Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:44 am ((PDT))
Yes, been mulling this one over on and off. My original question was just about
the possibilities and technical limitations of recording with two separate
recorders, I didn't think much initially on the conceptual issues this might
raise.

But, having been raised, and having read the numerous posts, I must admit I
don't have any problems myself with it. A single point stereo recording can
demonstrate human scale listening, sensitivity to sounds in a particular
location, relying on careful listening, fieldcraft etc. But surely so can
recording from multiple perspectives? Indeed I imagine the latter, as it would
involve the sensitive placement of multiple recorders would require just as
much attention if the aim is to say something about a soundscape and our
relationship to it.

And as the end product is a transformation however its done, the technique only
matters in so far as its successful in achieving the desire of the recordist.
Microphones are not ears.

all the best

Tony