2. Re: Simultaneous recording with two digital recorders?

Subject: 2. Re: Simultaneous recording with two digital recorders?
From: "Wil Hershberger" wil_hershber=
ger
Date: Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:54 am ((PDT))

Bravo Andrew! An excellent summation. I too feel as you about this.
Thank you for this succinct response.

Wil Hershberger
Nature Images and Sounds, LLC
Hedgesville, WV
The Songs of Insects
My Blog

On Jun 11, 2012, at 11:19 PM, Andrew Skeoch wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I feel this thread touches upon a really important issue. In deciding app=
ropriate technological approaches, we need to first be clear about why we'r=
e listening.

> It occurs to me that using multiple mic sources is actually an attempt to=
 synthesize a soundscape that accords more to our visual sense than our aud=
itory one. We are trying to hear the landscape the same way we see it - sep=
arating it into discreet objects and recombining. But listening is not seei=
ng. Expansive listening gives us holistic information about what is around =
us, and our relationship to it. And this is referenced upon the human-scale=
 listening experience of two ears hanging in the breeze.

> For me; I want to reawaken my listening from its post-industrial torpor, =
and enrich my relationship with the world around me. I utilise audio techno=
logy, taking that human-scale listening as my reference point.

> I could imagine an artistic agenda in exploring 'alternate sensory viewpo=
ints' though mixing multiple sources, but I can't help feeling that there i=
s nothing culturally radical in this, just an extension of our human fascin=
ation with how much we can abstract and manipulate nature. Legerdemain. How=
 far can we go?

> Personally, I'm with you on this one Geoff :) Single point stereo; simple=
 technology, coherent information, fieldcraft, personal presence in the lan=
dscape, deep listening (not to mention less time farting around in the stud=
io afterwards!).

> To me, the important issue is not what I can DO with audio technology, bu=
t how it can help me BE in the world.