10. Re: Mixing using Headphones

Subject: 10. Re: Mixing using Headphones
From: "Bernie Krause" bigchirp1
Date: Mon May 28, 2012 7:24 pm ((PDT))
And remember, Mark, natural soundscapes =96 biophonies =96 are in a
constant state of transition with no "perfect" assertion ever, no
matter where or when anyone records. As recent peer-reviewed
publications have shown, the natural world has a way of constantly
editing for optimum transmission and reception of critter voices in
whatever combination they are mixed. While content and context may be
expressed w/in a certain dynamic range, the actual iteration
(performance) is always mutable. With the help of those insights, I am
able to make the case in my new book that humans are merely mimics and
pretty much invented no sonic expression on our own. We mimicked
melody, rhythm and even acoustic structure (biophony) in order to
create our own sonic performances. And, having noted the constant
shifts in sonic iteration of forest sounds, we learned to edit (shift)
first with our vocal and instrumental expressions, and then, once able
to capture sound technically, learned advanced editing skills,
layering and texturing in much the same way(s) as events unfold in the
wild. It's in our DNA. "Organic" as they say. While some will attempt
to make principled arguments about such matters, the premises,
although they might have some manufactured meaning, is substantially
false hence a fallible conclusion. It reminds me of Luc Ferry's
statement in his book, "The New Ecological Order," "Nature is
beautiful when it imitates art."

Honest to god, folks, there are so many more important matters to
concern ourselves within what little is left of our bioacoustic world,
we'd all be much better served if we got off these damned computers
and went out to record something useful. In that vein, it may be wise
to keep in mind the late, great natural world artist, Morris Graves'
aphorism:  "The only thing worth talking about is the truth of the
fact that there is nothing worth talking about."  I'm outta here.

Bernie