1. Re: Mixing using Headphones

Subject: 1. Re: Mixing using Headphones
From: "Jez" tempjez
Date: Mon May 28, 2012 2:28 am ((PDT))
Hi John,

ok - I understand now. What i'll say is that parts of this conversation wer=
e about other areas of field recording (sound art for example). I have no d=
oubt that everyone on this group listens carefully, for sheer pleasure etc =
etc of course but I have to tell you that when it comes to other areas its =
quite common for the listening bit to be forgotten in the pursuit of artist=
ic career / funding / etc.  Its important for me to state that this view is=
n't one of an elitist approach to listening - far from it. But the fact rem=
ains that listening is something we, as a society, train ourselves to filte=
r, to lessen & to not need to do as much & as i'm sure everyone on here kno=
ws, the ability to engage, to remove the filters is what really opens the a=
udible world up to one.

I'd like to think anyone could appreciate an upgrade to better equipment - =
though, as a grumpy old man I do of course have to do my duty & mumble on a=
bout how kids these days listen to music on mobile phones & 99.9% of the co=
ntent they ever get to hear is compressed to heck so whatever equipment the=
re is will probably not get through :)

--- In  "hartogj" <> wrote=
:

> Jez, you said, "unless you're ears are open & you're really listening."
>
> You seemed to be suggesting only those who listen carefully may appreciat=
e upgrades to finer equipment. I am suggesting those who do not listen care=
fully are probably not likely to remain nature sound recordists.