1. Re: Mixing using Headphones

Subject: 1. Re: Mixing using Headphones
From: "Klas Strandberg" klasstrandberg
Date: Sun May 27, 2012 8:22 am ((PDT))
Someone wrote that naturesound recordings rarely come near a studio
or mixing room. That is true, nowadays.
But going back 30 years or so, there were - say - 10 serious
naturesound recordists in Sweden and half of them had some kind of
studio and mixer.
Nothing was simple: No one could afford a multi-track machine, best
case you could play one 1/4 inch reel to reel machine with another
likewise and get, for example,  a bird recorded with a mono parabol
mixed into a stereo background.

When I tried to speak about  "reality" here, I only meant that all
such mixed recordings could sound fine with loudspeakers, while the
"fraud" was quickly revealed as soon as you took headphones on.
Neither phase, nor acoustics matched.
I had a Blyth's Warbler recorded mono in Helsinki and it had such a
beautiful song and I wanted it to stand out from a stereo background.
It was a easy mix when loudspeakers were used, but not with
headphones. Finally I connected the mono recording to an amplifier
and put a good dome tweeter 25 meters away into the bush, as if it
was the bird, and recorded it with other birds with two MKH20 in a
rig. That worked fine.

So, no doubt there are both "qualities" and "errors" that you can
hear with headphones, but that disappear when using loudspeakers.
If this is important or not is another question.

Klas.