1. Re: Headphones

Subject: 1. Re: Headphones
From: "Emanuele" lamacchiacosta
Date: Mon May 21, 2012 3:04 am ((PDT))
On 13/05/2012 19:28, robin_parmar_sound wrote:

> Ema wrote: "Never use headphones for mixing though."
>
> Way back when I was trained as a recording engineer the mantra was the
> same. But then everyone listened on home or car stereo, film sound was
> generally stereo, and the Walkman was a newfangled thing.
>
> Now that (almost) everyone listens on headphones, it makes a lot more
> sense to mix that way. Although film sound should be mixed in a proper
> suite, the likes of which most of us don't own and so must rent.
>
> On a pragmatic point, it is a lot easier to buy a good set of
> headphones and hear what you are mixing. It costs a lot more to buy a
> good set of speakers, and takes much more effort to tune a listening
> room so that it is no longer a detrimental factor. I can hear at least
> an octave lower on my cans than on my near-field monitors. And since I
> don't have an isolated mix studio, the clarity of the cans is much
> better too.

Sure,
in my experience in a good pair of cans everything sounds beautyful and
more critical.
That means that sound great but I can hear all the mistakes made in
editing and EQing and so on.
That's why I use mainly headphones for editing work and speakers for
balancing the mix, listening for my mixes through good speakers if I've
got them around, but is not priority, otherwise through all the crappy
speakers I can find: computer, car, general speakers, Hi Fi speakers.
If it sounds good in all those things it will sounds great on good
speakers and ever more punchy on headphones.

Please put my sentence back in context: "I never use headphones for
mixing though".
That means it is my experience, that can be different from general view
or anyone experiences.

I hope it helps.

Ema