Re: The Brinibox

Subject: Re: The Brinibox
From: "umashankar" umashanks
Date: Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:57 am ((PDT))
crown published some kind of a booklet on pzm applications, which included =
many possible arrangements with multiple boundaries. the basic theory is on=
e boundary (flat on a plate) gives six db of gain. two boundaries (with the=
 capsule at the join) 12 db, and three boundaries (with the capsule at the =
corner) would give 18 db. the gain falls off when wavelength is about six t=
imes the dimensions of the boundary.
one of the many designs proposed in the booklet became the crown sass.
=A0
i too have used many kinds of boundaries both in nature recording and film.=
 in film, the fun part was found boundaries that i could use so the microph=
one was not hidden but became invisible.
=A0
=A0
umashankar

i have published my poems. you can read (or buy) at http://stores.lulu.com/=
umashankar

>________________________________

t not according to patent law in the United States.
>In the early 1980s I toured with an ethnic dance ensemble, mixing their so=
und for concert tours. The dancers were also the choir, singing during vari=
ous numbers. The engineer I took over from used to hang mics over the stage=
, which to my mind was an unsightly theatrical presentation, as well as unw=
orkable on certain (mostly outdoor) stages with no overhead rigging. My sol=
ution was to make folding plexiglass boundaries, about 10 inches high by 18=
 inches wide, with a clear tape hinge holding two panes together on the 10"=
 side. With an 1/8th" x 3" slot cut along the bottom at the taped edges, a =
Crown PZM was placed at the apex with the capsule nearly touching the plexi=
glass. Three of these across the front of the stage, with the wings opened =
to 90 degrees, provided excellent approximately cardioid pickup of the choi=
r voices, while remaining mostly invisible to the audience.
>Two of these units back to back I imagine would be a Brinibox, although fo=
r live concert use we weren't interested in stereo. With the introduction o=
f the Crown PCC160 directional boundary mic my PZM boundary shields became =
superfluous.