Re: Boundary Size Test - was Wind in the Willow(s)..............

Subject: Re: Boundary Size Test - was Wind in the Willow(s)..............
From: "Avocet" madl74
Date: Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:40 pm ((PDT))
Tom,

I think the boundary effect is frequently misunderstood as it has not
been adequately explained, and here is not the place. However, the
size of the boundary used, whatever the type, will govern the
frequency range where it is effective. A clue is the wavelength of
sound at 1KHz which is 340mm or around a foot.

A related effect is heard with larger diameter omni mics which are
never fully omni at high frequencies. The larger the diaphragm
diameter, the more directional it will be at mid to high frequencies.

While I like to know about the theory of such effects, the real answer
is with experimentation. When changing the size of a boundary, listen
for the effect at higher and lower frequencies to hear the
differences.

David

David Brinicombe
North Devon, UK
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce