Re: Mic for Nightingale Walk was Wind in the Willow(s) - MX391......

Subject: Re: Mic for Nightingale Walk was Wind in the Willow(s) - MX391......
From: "tk7859" tk7859
Date: Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:21 am ((PDT))
Hi Vicki

Thanks for your comments.

I finished the spectacles last night, photo here

https://picasaweb.google.com/G0SBW.PM/MicForNightingaleWalk#573304144535700=
6658

 and gave them a try this morning in 15mph winds.  Very clearly wind protec=
tion could be a problem.  I tried several things but the best was my wife's=
 wooly beanie, but that was not really adequate - maybe a beanie with a fau=
x fur rim.  The LS-11's built in mics with just their foam cover were usele=
ss.

I had no feedback problems.

Coming inside I did a ticking clock test in a quiet room - breathing and bo=
dy gurgles were easily picked up but maybe in an outdoor, more noisy, envir=
onment they would not be a problem.

Today I adapted the lightweight barrier rig, which normally holds the AT303=
2s, for use with the EM172s (5 minute job).  A lighter handle was also adde=
d.  A photo is here

https://picasaweb.google.com/G0SBW.PM/MicForNightingaleWalk#573308840259833=
4050

The weights of the three main options on a ready to use basis (excluding wi=
nd protection and recorder) are:

NT4   791gms  1lb 12oz
MX391  552gms  1lb 3 1/2 oz
EM172  344gms  12 1/2 oz

It's beginning to look if the EM172's in the lightweight barrier will be th=
e mic of choice.  However it has not been tested as yet.

Cheers, TomR