12. Re: SD 7 series recorders with / without an additional pre-amp

Subject: 12. Re: SD 7 series recorders with / without an additional pre-amp
From: "vickipowys" vpowys
Date: Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:43 pm ((PDT))
Jez, Peter and all,

I've played around with silicone ears, they do give a huge boost to
the signal but at only some (higher) frequencies.  Thus when I went
off to record the twittering of small birds with a DIY binaural head,
there was one particular species (the Weebill) whose high-pitched
call was amplified to the point where it either distorted or just
plain sounded weird.

You can tune ears by dampening the high frequency boost using bits of
tissue or polyester wadding in the ear canals, and that did help to
tame the Weebills.

As for Jez seeking the ultimate in low-noise rigs, I can understand
that.  I sometimes try to record 'the air' when nothing is calling
much, but I can never get that sense of space and airiness that I
hear with my ears.  When you have definite subject matter such as
birdsong, then recording is relatively easy, you just get as close as
possible.  I found the MKH20 mics awful in their high-pitch noise
levels (which apparently most people cannot hear!)  The MKH 8020s are
much better and the AT4022s very nice too.   I've never tried studio
mics.

I can't add anything about pre-amps as I have not tried any, but I
imagine you should be able to get extra noise-free gain using them.

Vicki