1. Re: Sony PCM-D50?

Subject: 1. Re: Sony PCM-D50?
From: "Scott Fraser" scottbfraser
Date: Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:20 am ((PDT))
<<Given the limiting nature of built in mics on any hand held unit, will it
really make much difference from one to another as far as stereo imaging goes
though?>>

In the case of the M10 vs the D50 there should be a considerable difference, as
the M10 contains 2 omnis & the D50 has a pair of cardioids. I haven't used an
M10, although I've heard a number of complaints about its stereo image lacking
separation & localization, which is to be expected from that mic array. I use
the D50 often. The D50 mics swivel, providing 2 different stereo fields. With
the mics pointing inwards, a clumsy attempt at coincident XY, with the capsules
slightly occluding each other's point of view, the stereo is very modest &
unimpressive, like XY done incorrectly. With the mics aiming outward the result
is near coincident, corresponding to none of the classic stereo configurations.
Near coincident provides much of the mono stability of XY while introducing
enough arrival time differences to make the stereo image start to take on some
of the interest of NOS & ORTF stereo. The M10 configuration of 2 close omnis
isn't quite coherent & isn't spread far enough to obtain any time of arrival
data. Spaced omnis generally need to be placed several feet apart to obtain
meaningful stereo imagery.

Scott Fraser