Nature recording workshop 2012

Subject: Nature recording workshop 2012
From: "Martyn Stewart" mijdog2000
Date: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:57 am ((PDT))
http://naturesound.org/?page_id=3D55

Come and learn how to record the birds and the bees at our 2012 nature reco=
rding workshop in Seattle WA.
Recorders and microphones are not so intimidating these days and for relati=
vely little money you can get into the low end of recording.

1: Why record nature sounds? Wildlife sounds enrich our lives, whether it=
=92s a bird singing in the garden, or the soundscape of a rainforest. Recor=
ding these sounds can be an extremely rewarding experience
2: Listen. Your ears are an important part of your equipment! Teach yoursel=
f to listen. There is noise all around us, our brain filters out most of th=
e unwanted sounds but when you put a set of headphones on you realise what =
a noisy environment we live in.
3: Microphones: They need protecting from the wind and sturdy enough to wit=
hstand the elements.
4: Recorders: Gone are the days of carrying heavy analog tape recorders, th=
ere are many recorders now that use =93solid state=94, we will show you the=
 right recorder for your needs.
5: Accessories: A pair of headphones to listen to what you are recording is=
 essential.
6: Get familiar with your equipment: Good recordings can be made with modes=
t equipment, but whatever you choose it is essential to get to know how to =
operate it.
7: Techniques: Patience is a virtue, you may spend hours outside with your =
subject and only get 30 seconds of usable sound, it is essential that you k=
now beforehand where and what you want to record. Get to know ranges and ha=
bitats of your target species. Don=92t wear noisy clothes and stay away fro=
m gravel roads and crunchy leaves that can ruin your recording. Protect you=
rself from insects that bite, swatting an insect while recording will be pi=
cked up by the microphone, stay away from Deet while touching plastic knobs=
 etc. Leaving your recorder on and walking away will give you less handling=
 noise, try to use a tripod rather than holding the microphones
9: An early start!: Dawn in the spring will give you much more depth in sou=
nd, birds and animals often call and sing at this magic time of day, try to=
 be out before the first song and eat something before your belly makes the=
 first noise as to not ruin the moment.
10: Most of all, enjoy yourself..

Come and join us at the horticultural centre at the Mountlake fill.....
May 11th through May 13th
Only $85 including food.

Martyn
Martyn Stewart