2. Re: Initial SASS test shows bands of harmonics

Subject: 2. Re: Initial SASS test shows bands of harmonics
From: "John Crockett" naturalcontemplative
Date: Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:56 am ((PDT))
I am using a Sony Hi-MD MZRH1. I haven't decided which of the current
recorders is the best replacement. Each has its flaws and I can't
decide which flaws I can live with. The MZRH1 has its flaws too, but
I already own those flaws! And preamp noise is not one of them.

I use the mic input, not the line input. The mic preamp is not adding
any audible noise to the self noise of the EM172 (the same should be
true of the M10), and there is a significantly better signal-to-noise
ratio using the mic preamp at high gain (with the mic level at about
half gain I can hear no difference between the mic and line inputs).

I am no soldering genius and found this very easy to build, and for
only a few dollars in parts.

John

On Mar 14, 2012, at 4:55 AM,  wrote:

> 1.4. Re: Initial SASS test shows bands of harmonics
>     Posted by: "Peter Shute"  pshute2
>     Date: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:15 am ((PDT))
>
> That looks good, thanks. Are you using that with an M10? Do you
> plug the output into the mic input or line in?
>
> It's a bit odd that this sort of thing isn't widely available on
> eBay. I see just one for $40, obviously home made. Yet there are
> Chinese versions of far more complicated devices for just a few
> dollars. The market mustn't be big enough.
>
> Peter Shute

John Crockett

Let us live in harmony with the Earth
And all creatures