3. Re: Initial SASS test shows bands of harmonics

Subject: 3. Re: Initial SASS test shows bands of harmonics
From: "Raimund" animalsounds
Date: Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:32 pm ((PDT))
Peter, you wrote:

> The clipped noise is from me handling the array as I wrap the towel over =
it.

I just listened to your recording again. I can indeed hear the (acoustic) n=
oise caused by the towel. But there is also another clipped noise at 6.4 an=
d 6.9 sec that has a different quality, which is alslo visible on the wavef=
orm.

I guess that this crackling noise is caused by poor electrical contact betw=
een the TRS plug and the mic input socket, which is a common problem with P=
IP microphones.

As far as I know, it is caused by the DC current that flows through the con=
nectors. Such a poor electrical contact can then also increase the overall =
source impedance and so reduce the immunity against electromagnetic interfe=
rences. That would be at least a consitent theory for the sudden start of t=
he interferences at that point in time.

Regards,
Raimund