Re: Stereo from ME66s

Subject: Re: Stereo from ME66s
From: "umashankar" umashanks
Date: Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:05 am ((PST))
i had been planning to bring this to your notice, but i could not remember =
the article's name, or the author. i have, suddenly, and here is the link. =
it is basically for a range of microphones, and inter-microphone angles.
=A0
http://www.rycote.com/images/uploads/The_Stereophonic_Zoom.pdf
=A0
umashankar

i have published my poems. you can read (or buy) at http://stores.lulu.com/=
umashankar

>________________________________

rds because I'm in a similar situation to David Darrell-Lambert in that I h=
ave one ME66 and I'd like to make stereo recordings sometimes. I'm finding =
the quality from the ME66 way better than the inbuilt mics of the PCM M10, =
even ignoring the poor stereo separation of the latter.

>> > I hadn't realised there might be a problem with a non matched second M=
E66. Is it simply a matter of tweaking the volume of one channel to fix thi=
s, or is there more to it?

>> There would be more to it than that, since the actual peaks and dips in =
the frequency response might be different between the mics. But my guess is=
 that in this application they'd be close enough.

>> > And are there any workable arrangements
>> > other than crossing them at about 30 degrees?
>>
>> I wouldn't cross them at all, but instead use them in parallel. It might=
 serve you well to experiment with Blumlein shuffling and try a baffle betw=
een them. IIRC he used shotguns in some of his experiments, and the process=
ing matrix achieved greater "reach" than with a single microphone. The othe=
r obvious improvement is that with two microphones you are picking up twice=
 as much signal.

>> I have been building a plugin for this processing task. Unfortunately it=
's only going to be useful for those with Native Instruments Reaktor. Someh=
ow I doubt that's a common tool for nature recordists!