Re: Stereo from ME66s

Subject: Re: Stereo from ME66s
From: "Avocet" madl74
Date: Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:03 am ((PST))
> I hadn't realised there might be a problem with a non matched second
> ME66. Is it simply a matter of tweaking the volume of one channel to
> fix this, or is there more to it?

Robin and Peter,

I'm repeating myself but as the mics are pointing at different
sources, matching is not important. The only shared source is dead
central, when the responses of two ME66's will be fairly well matched
anyway except perhaps for a slight difference in level. A matched pair
will be matched for the axial images only.

Off-axis the frequency responses are never given as they can be very
non-linear, and unmatched anyway, but in practice this is not too
noticeable and an axially matched pair would not help.

I'll be bold enough to say that any directional mic and even some
omnis have very variable frequency responses off-axis.

I would not put a baffle next to a gunmic as that would alter the
"interference tube" characteristics but, as ever, try it to see what
happens.

I've done a lot of experimentation with my MKH 415's and the cleanest
stereo is given with the mics crossed so the capsules coincide. The
main stereo image is produced by differential levels (level stereo)
rather than by time of arrival (time stereo). Blumlein is time stereo.

When listening on loudspeakers only an exact center listening position
will recreate time stereo. Headphones give accurate time steroo
listening.

Level stereo will override time stereo, but a time stereo component
can "defocus" the level stereo image. I made up an out of phase
headphone lead to listen to L-R (the S signal) and went for the
minimum centre response when mounting my stereo pair which was with
coincident capsules.

David

David Brinicombe
North Devon, UK
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce