Re: bear hibrination

Subject: Re: bear hibrination
From: "Mark Phinney" badgreenbird
Date: Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:26 pm ((PST))
Well, your situation sounds different from those that I am experienced
with. If the site (& bear) are well known and being monitored by
scientists, and they have given you the option of making the recording,
then the risk to the bear may be somewhat less than I initially thought.
Odd that he can be heard from 30 ft away. Of all the 'surprise encounters'
(with denned bears)I've been told about, none of the people have actually
heard the bear beforehand...maybe they're under too much dirt & snow around
here. I would guess that if the bear is used to hearing people nearby, it
may not be a big issue to creep up to the den entrance and QUICKLY &
QUIETLY place your mic just inside the entrance, then get away. You really
don't want to disturb the animal. That consideration should be paramount.
The metabolic & physiological effects of waking a bear aren't the same as
for a true hibernator, as you point out. They do wake frequently from their
winter sleep. However, the ultimate consequences of disturbing / scaring a
bear enough to actually leave it's den are significant and not good. And
most bears that leave the winter den 'unwillingly' do not come back to
resume their dormancy.

On the bird nest topic, if you can find the nest as it's being built, you
can give it a try as you state below. The bird may see you or your activity
and abandon the site. Probably not much to record though...the birds will
be quiet around the nest. There are a lot of nest predators out
there..aside from coons & snakes - squirrels, weasels, jays, etc. Some
follow scent signature, others use visual cues and others auditory - as
when the parent bird scolds you when you come to check on the setup, etc.
And if you use a long cord (recommended to avoid disturbance) the mice &
squirrels may chew on it!

Good luck, but the primary thought for all ethical nature recordists,
photographers, etc is to avoid or minimise disturbance to the subject.

Mark Phinney