Re: bear hibrination

Subject: Re: bear hibrination
From: "Eric Schmidt" eric_v_s43420
Date: Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:20 pm ((PST))
Thanks Mark and Martyn,

> Beware that black bears are not true hibernators. They can & will wake
> up
> very quickly.

Yes, I knew that they break hibernation.  By very quickly do you mean
they wake on the slightest sound or that they can go from sleep into a
fully alert and conscious state rapidly.  I was under the impression
that initially they can be expected to be somewhat "groggy".  Why I'm
seeking some advise.

> Aside from the potential danger to you

Risk in everything, you do what you can to minimize it.

> & your equipment is

Won't be the first time I've lost equipment.  Again minimize the chance
of it happening is all you can do.

> the disturbance to the bear. Once disturbed & scared from the den, they
> generally will not go back to the same site.

I was under the impression that they will generally go back to the same
den site after awakening and it's unusual but not a rarity to have them
wake up.  I have no intention of causing an awakened bear.  Correct me
if I'm wrong,  I don't think it's as costly as having a bat roused from
slumber.  But they shouldn't be unnecessarily disturbed.

> Then they are left to wander
> at a time of year they are not meant to be out. No good food (other
> than
> human-sourced, which won't end well) and nowhere to go. I strongly
> advise against rousting the bear from it's winter lair.

OK - three people are against it.  I am going to pursue it further.  I
will not make up my mind until I get over there and check out the
situation, den location and accessibility, and talk with the scientists
there.  If I decide that the chances of disturbance, etc. are minimal
I'm going to record sound.  Note: I have opted not to proceed before.
But this bear is known and seems like a good candidate.

Plan would be get in set the two mics, or more with a mixer, back off
150 feet, record 2 hours and leave.  Come back right before I leave to
retrieve the mics and be gone.

> Thus, no noisy or
> intrusive behaviour. a mic placed quietly on a pole and left for quite
> some
> time MAY be ok, but beware it could be destroyed.

So place the shotgun on a stand close to the hole pointing in, no
talking while close (I won't walk up there without at the minimum being
within someone's eyesight) and get in and get out as fast and quietly
as possible.  Anything else I'm missing.

If the hole is no longer there I won't make one.

> flash photography is not
> a good option.

I agree here, that's why I stated I can live without it.  I don't know
how he would react to a flash and don't want to take a chance on it
disturbing his sleep.

> Despite the temptation it's probably best to leave them be.
> A sow with cubs may produce more interesting sounds and she would be
> less
> likely to abandon the site - but more likely to eat your mic...

 From what I've been told the female's den site is more "precarious"
than the males and I'm not even considering visiting her.

The male is on a university biological research station site and is
being observed.  I'm told you can easily hear him from a trail 30 feet
away from the den.  Haven't been there yet so don't know how close or
obtrusive the bear is subjected to.  They like having him around so I'm
assuming they are giving him some space.  And they are comfortable
enough to invite me - I've done stuff with them before.  I'm given to
understand the trail is often used to access a study site.  That's how
he was originally discovered.

> The bird nest thing is a possibility. The fewer visits to the nest the
> better, and maybe wait til the chicks have hatched.

I was hoping to be there as the nest is being build.

> Don't draw predator
> attention to the nest

I know raccoons will associate human activity with a good chance of
finding a meal and even after a single visit.  Have to watch it with
bluebird trails.  But I don't know of anything else to do except get in
and get out and minimize the walking around doing the placement
activity.  Anything else?  Take anti-scent precautions like deer
hunters do?

> and don't disturb the nest itself (setup should be
> cryptic),

What do you mean cryptic?  If you mean having the little mic (and I'm
amazed at how small it is) hidden and the cable snaked behind bark,
etc, I'm with you already.

> but beware that activity like this probably does increase the
> likelihood of nest depredation.

Snakes and raccoons are the two biggest concerns.  Snakes won't be real
active yet.

I thought nest has to be a tree nesting species with nest 5 or 6 feet
minimum from the ground and within reach of a smallish step-stool.

> just my two cents. I am a wildlife biologist, but not a professional
> nature
> recordist, so others undoubtedly have more direct experience in these
> matters than I...

Well, they can have experience in recording, but, hopefully, you've got
a leg up on behaviors, etc.