Re: Roland R-26 handheld recorder is announced

Subject: Re: Roland R-26 handheld recorder is announced
From: "Dan Dugan" dandugan_1999
Date: Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:38 am ((PDT))
> The specification page of the R-26 says that the input impedance of the p=
lug-in powered mic inputs is 3k or 2k ohms (http://www.roland.com/products/=
en/R-26/specs.html), which is even lower than the XLR inputs (5k ohms).

> So, I believe that here is a good chance that these 3.5 mm inputs provide=
 decent quality similar to other recorders, such as the Olympus LS-xx, SONY=
 PCM-M10 or Roland R-05.

Mic input specifications often are quoted for the intended mic impedance ra=
ther than the actual input impedance; in this case, however, it seems to be=
 real, because different values are given for different sensitivity switch =
settings.

Am I correct in believing that the output impedance of a typical PIP mic is=
 in the 2K-3K ohm range? If so having input impedances in the same range is=
 kind of low; more like the old-fashioned "matching" than the current pract=
ice of "bridging," i.e. having a preamp input impedance that's 10x or more =
the mic impedance.

Does anybody know what the actual input impedances are of some of our famil=
iar PIP-input recorders, like LS-10, H2? Maybe we've been matching all alon=
g in the PIP world.

Mics have higher output levels and have flatter response into higher-impeda=
nce inputs. Preamps with lower input impedances have less noise. A design t=
rade-off.

-Dan