Re: ME66/K6 battery level indication

Subject: Re: ME66/K6 battery level indication
From: "Mitch Hill" wa1ykn
Date: Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:24 am ((PDT))
On 8/22/2011 4:42 AM, Gianni Pavan wrote:
> When used with internal battery all my k6 microphones have a sharp peak a=
> frequencies in the range 30 to 40 khz. Later i'll post the dB numbers. As=
> record at 96k i prefer phantom power.

Hi Gianni,

Thank you for making us aware of that information.  Excellent work...

I might add that in my message I stated my findings of the Sennheiser
were in my application, meaning in field work, not a laboratory which I
did not make clear, all my recordings are made outdoors.  In my
application, I use 44Khz sampling rate and audio frequencies I am
interested in are between 300 Hz and 18 Khz typically and I use bandpass
limiting filtering.  I have a total of 7 ME/K6 microphones and have
never seen any indication of the frequency spike you show in your graphs.

However, what is interesting to me, I also have a number of Rode
microphones, in particular, a pair of NTG3 purchased a year ago which
were returned, and replaced by Rode under warranty as they neither
worked when cold, one NTG3 would stop working  at temps below 5c and the
other would break into a high frequency oscillation causing the
preamp/recorder (SD 302 feeding line level signal to a Marantz 661) to
go into saturation showing full scale on the meters with a signal above
the audible hearing range.  Fortunately, Rode was very quick to replace
this pair of NTG3 with a pair that worked properly down into the minus C
temperature range...

I have to add that in my field work using both Rode and Sennheiser
microphones, I find the ME66/K6 microphones to work best and are my
first choice to use.  This is based on having a pool of 6 Rode and 7
Sennheiser ME64-ME66-ME67 shotgun style microphones to work with.

-- --
Mitch Hill

  (sent from HP DV6T)