Re: an interesting microphone deal

Subject: Re: an interesting microphone deal
From: "Mike Rooke" picnet2
Date: Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:50 pm ((PDT))
Hi Curt,
            I'd run then from a battery in a three wire configuration for best
resuls. The sensitivity can be controlled via a resistor on the source (pin 3/4
black lead) to shield with 9V via a yet to be determined resistor for the drain
(red lead) or better still internally solder a (precision) surface mount
resistor inside if theres room. - Perhaps the best method is to use Shure's own
preamplifier if considering phantom power. One issue is the drain resistor
noise and too low a source-ground resistance may cause excessive current in the
capsule.
Im not sure what you refer to as "stable" since even with the D50's low voltage
they were fine - I even have a recording of the blimp falling down in the wind
a few times, excessive shock.

For pip and the D50 I simply joined the black lead to the shield and soldered
those to the 3.5mm plugs ground and took the signal (red) wire direct to either
the left or right channel.
The monte gordo beach recording used two in a rode blimp as detailed in the
blog entry.

Kind Regards,
-MIke.