Re: an interesting microphone deal

Subject: Re: an interesting microphone deal
From: "John Carroll"
Date: Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:52 am ((PDT))
Just a quick addition to the previous post, these mics (Shure MX391/O)
work fine on the approximately 3V PIP supplied by the Sony D50.   The
original connectors were removed and both mics were wired directly to a
Message: 3.
Subject: 5mm stereo plug.  The published specs are confusing.  When I first
read the specs I thought they required phantom power, but the mics alone
(without the pre-amp that they are normally used with) work well on PIP.
Thanks to John Hartog for setting me straight on this point.   -jc

--- In  "John Carroll"
<> wrote:

> For those interested in the Shure MX391/O mics, here is a recording of
an evening frog chorus I made last night.   As Mike said, the MX391's
are well balanced and they're easy to modify for PIP.

> Coupled with a Sony D50, a strap, a paper clip (to hang the recorder)
and some velcro, they make a nice, very portable rig for "tree ears"
type recording (pic on SoundCloud).

> http://soundcloud.com/dismalhiker/aug-13-11-frog-chorus-ouachita-pond
>
> John
>
> --- In  "Mike Rooke" yg@ wrote:
> >
> > Hi John,
> >             I ordered a few of these mics last month and tested a
couple recording a storm - the response is very nice. Construction
quality is excellent and I was impressed how they matched, near
identical.

wrote:

> > > I noticed this deal on ebay, so I bought a couple, and am playing
with them now.

> > > Shure Microflex Wired Boundary Microphone - MX391 (#310322612261)
> > > http://tinyurl.com/3e2f8aq
> > >
> > > The MX391LP/O is basically the same mic as the WL183, except it is
mounted inside a boundary housing and the wire attaches to the
microphone barrel from the rear instead of from the side, and it comes
with a longer cable.

> > > The housing is lined with thin foam which works as basic wind
protection.

> > > The noise spec of 13dB is misleadingly low as the figures are
adjusted for use as a boundary mic on large boundary like a conference
table, so for other uses they are likely the same as the wl183 - so
around 20db self noise.

> > > Same as the WL183, they would require an adapter cable or
soldering directly to a 3.5mm plug to use with plug-in power. These do
not come with phantom powered pre-amps.

> > > I have no association with the seller, and I have no idea if the
Shure warranty is good from resellers.

> > > If you want to experiment with ground oriented spaced omnis, the
price, $35US each, is pretty good.