Re: Best stereo solution for nature recording while backpacking thro

Subject: Re: Best stereo solution for nature recording while backpacking thro
From: "Bernie Krause" bigchirp1
Date: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:41 pm ((PDT))
Welcome to the group!

Sounds like you're traveling w/ lots of heavy gear, Durand. You might
want to reconsider and cover the trail with something like an Olympus
LS-10 or 11 or a Zoom H4N driven by sets of AA batteries like Volker
Widmann uses, and where a pair in the LS-10 lasts nearly 14 or 15
hours. For mics, carry a couple of DPAs (4060s) or similar idea (like
Sony ECM55Bs, altho these are a bit noisier)  =96 omni lavs that can be =

tied around a tree (the diameter of which should be no larger than the
distance between a set of human ears), or clipped to the rim of your
hat or to your shoulders. Total package a bit over 1 lb.

That way you'll travel light and get perfectly great stuff. If you can
find an old B&K 4103 hydrophone and a way to amplify it, that, too, is
really light and has a freq response of out to around 200k.

If you're walking that far, you'll really want to pack light. Those
items will help. A 744, Senns., and a mixer (along with all the other
stuff you gotta carry) is way too much. Write off line if you want
more specifics. Also, Dan Dugan has some great solutions.

Bernie Krause