[Nature Recordists] Re: Green Frog Chorus

Subject: [Nature Recordists] Re: Green Frog Chorus
From: John Carroll <>
=A0

Thanks Mark for the detailed info on your approach to field recording. Very=

helpful. As a relative beginner here, its great to hear details about how o=
thers
do it.

I wasn't thinking so much about recorder gain as getting the output volume =
right
in post-processing, for posting on Soundcloud or similar sites on the web. =
Final
volume of a track would seem to be especially relevant to putting multiple=

tracks on a CD. Anyway, thanks again for the info.

John

--- In  Mark Brennan <=
..>
wrote:

> Hi John, thanks
>
> I dont use any cut off filters, either on mics or the Fostex Fr2le, I use=
d to
> though, but no longer.
>

> As for the gain. I usually sit for a few minutes and watch the levels bef=
ore I

> start recording but also listen too, I am looking to make the recording a=
> natural as possible. I suppose it comes down to=C2=A0what we hear ourselv=
es and
>what
>
> we like. I=C2=A0dont like the gain way up,=C2=A0for me when the gain is p=
ushed it
>reduces
>
> the tranquillity of the=C2=A0recording and it becomes much less what i am=
 feeling
>and
>
> hearing. When i first started I=C2=A0used to push the gain in the false h=
ope that
>it
>
> would be a better=C2=A0recording (perhaps it is to some ears, but not to =
mine!). I
>am
>
> getting better=C2=A0at judging what I am looking for.
>
> So I do use the levels but also my ears, I keep the=C2=A0headphones volum=
e at half

> and then adjust the overall gain knob on the fostex, first turning it up =
and
> then bringing down to the point where I feel it=C2=A0reflects the 'sounds=
cape' when

> listen without headphones. I only push the gain slightly above what I am=

> hearing. I know there are technical ways to do this, I have spoken to Mar=
tyn
> Stewart and I hope to read some of Bernies stuff on how to accurately and=

> consistently record soundscapes - =C2=A0but the=C2=A0equipment and our ow=
n senses vary
>so
>
> much I=C2=A0think we may all differ slightly in our approach. As Martyn s=
ays, get
>it
>
> right in the field and it makes life easier in post. I am no expert thoug=
h and

> am still learning! I think it also depends what you are looking for, if i=
t's an

> actual biological record of an eco-system using=C2=A0the soundscape then=
=C2=A0there are

> parameters that must be followed, but right now my goals are more to gene=
rate
> interest in the general public about nature and nature awareness, so for =
that
> reason, I think i look at it as a bit of an art form right now, but that =
may
> change as time ticks by.
> great question!
>
> I am sure others on the list would have different ways of doing this that=
 suits

> their own ideas and feelings about being in nature. I supose in a nutshel=
l its

> an expression, from where I place the mics, to where I want to go that mo=
rning

@>