Re: picus viridis and cuculus canorus caling one another

Subject: Re: picus viridis and cuculus canorus caling one another
From: "Jose Freitas" =
cketmail.com
Date: Fri Jun 3, 2011 12:02 pm ((PDT))

Thank you Chris,
 I didn't know they have so diferent sounds, please if you can hear in anot=
her post the same sample but with the two principal sounds in evidence.
Thank you,
Best regards,
Jos=E9 Freitas

--- In  "chrishails50" <> wrote=
:

> Hello Jos=C3=A9,
>
> What I think you have here is a superb sequence of just about the full ra=
nge of cuckoo sounds. I don't hear a Picus viridis in there (did you see on=
e ?).

> What I can hear is all the normal "cuc-koo" calls, I can also hear the ma=
le give some low chuckles which are his "gowk" calls. Then you hear the hys=
terical bubbling sound that you may be calling Picus viridis, that is actua=
lly the female cuckoo call (which I find rather rare and very hard to recor=
d), note that when she does that call the male often calls immediately and =
at a much more frantic pace, and sometimes you have it the other way around=
 as she responds to his frantic call - so my guess is that the two are inte=
racting, and in fact I suspect that you may have more than one female in th=
ere as I think I can hear the bubbling coming from two places different dis=
tances away, and there are definitely 2 and maybe 3 males. All hot blooded =
in the breeding season and competing for mates is my guess !

 female call: http://tinyurl.com/679cbq7

> Well done, the best Cuckoo interactions I have heard, great recordings cl=
ose in with nice resonance, plus all the other species. Very nice scene

wrote:

> > http://www.freesound.org/samplesViewSingle.php?id=3D121353
> > This sample is from Gr=EF=BF=BDndola Portugal and the two birds are, I =
think in a dispute. Can someone said if I am correct.