Re: Shotgun Mic, or Parabolic Reflector? Opinions, Please.

Subject: Re: Shotgun Mic, or Parabolic Reflector? Opinions, Please.
From: "Avocet" madl74
Date: Wed May 11, 2011 4:06 pm ((PDT))
> What kind of setup did you use to record the "gusting" wind in the
> tops of trees---shotgun, parabola, etc.?

Sorry I don't have a handle for you but does "scratchpaws" mean you
have cats? One of my Maine Coons keeps resetting this computer when I
sit down to type. There is another on my web page below recorded on a
MKH 816 and you can hear the 20dB side rejection as I lower the mic.

My rigs are a pair of MKH 416's at 50 degrees and a pair of MKH 816's
at 30 deg. To weatherproof them I use a tent with the mics aiming out
through the insect screen. I've recently got a lot of wind and bird
recordings from my valley wood but am bogged down with logging the
recordings and haven't got them up yet.

I've got this:
  http://www.stowford.org/recordings.htm#titswind
The scene is looking up a steep slope with hardwoods on the left and
larches on the right and above. There is a little tent flap noise, but
with my woodland tent I've got it in a hollow. I rolled off the bass
with a rounded HPF to concentrate on the birds and tree noise. I've
written a series of useful equalisations for Audacity 1.3 which I can
put on line.

If you are interested in stereo, I'd give a parabola a miss and
recommend adding a second gun mic. The focus of the parabola goes
narrow sharply with frequency but is near mono at the bass end so I
think you would find the gunmic more useful generally. I've tried a
wok lid and it's too small. If you are really keen for a good fetch,
look for MKH 815 mic on eBay. They are T-powered but you can get a
converter for phantom. I don't think they can be bettered.

I've got a tip for the built in mics and a gunmic - put it low, and
try it right on the ground if it is a soft surface. It sounds
different down there and often better and with less wind noise.

For a blimp see eBay item 400125713993 I've bought four but the 815
doesn't fit.

David

David Brinicombe
North Devon, UK
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce