Re: Shotgun Mic, or Parabolic Reflector? Opinions, Please.

Subject: Re: Shotgun Mic, or Parabolic Reflector? Opinions, Please.
From: "scratchpaws" scratchpaws
Date: Wed May 11, 2011 11:59 am ((PDT))

Hey, thanks, David.
Way cool.

What kind of setup did you use to record the "gusting" wind in the tops of =
trees---shotgun, parabola, etc.?

As for that "roar" thing, I guess what I meant was "ambient" wind noise aro=
und me. I don't have "wind roar" in/on the mic itself. My windscreen works =
fine; it's the prevailing wind noise all around me that I'd like to get rid=
 of.

As for other uses for the mic, stuff like somewhat "distant sources" that I=
'd like to get without the ambient noise that the on-board mics also pick u=
p---owls, coyotes, night birds, and general sounds that are too far away to=
 record without picking up all the stuff around you that would be difficult=
 to EQ out later.

Also, I'd like to record these specific sounds without having to crank up t=
he record level and the associated hiss. I thought a shotgun might help wit=
h that.

I, too, use Audacity. I'll go with the below 175 Hz low cut switch on from =
now on when I record.

Got any bright ideas on a cheap and easy parabola setup?
I'm thinking about a 14-inch "wok" lid.
Is it big enough?

However, if I can get what I want with a mic, it seems the simplest way to =
go---just fork over the z's and forget it.  I just don't know if a shotgun =
is gonna do the "wind" trick and allow me to get other "distant" stuff.

Thanks much for you most gracious help.