Re: [Nature Recordists] Soundscape ecology

Subject: Re: [Nature Recordists] Soundscape ecology
From: Gregory O'Drobinak <>
=C2=A0
Martyn:

I would like to point out that I find your work very wonderful and prolific=
. We
are aligned rather closely in our philosophies, but you probably don't know=
 that

about me. Also, I have no ties to Gordon Hempton, nor have I really had a c=
hance

to talk to personally with Bernie Krause. So the following is an unprompted=

spilling of my feelings.

I have long been an admirer and student of Bernie's work since the 70's. I =
think

that he is a wonderful fellow [even though he basically just sticks to M/S=

recording techniques! >} ] and I respect him very much. He was the key figu=
re
that got me rolling on the path to nature recording and phonography. But to=

essentially demonize Gordon because he supposedly bought some domains "minu=
tes
after" the NPR broadcast is rather offside and uncalled for [BTW, how do yo=
know that Gordon was not in a different time zone from yours? This would ki=
ll
your argument about the timing]. And if Bernie was miffed by this action, h=
probably should have written the thoughts below himself. Your portrayal of =
the
events, below, seem somewhat slanted (coloured) to elicit a particular emot=
ional

response.

If these domain names were so important to Bernie, why did he wait so long =
lock them up? Given his history and direction I would have assumed that he =
would

have done this years ago. If Gordon heard the broadcast and then a light bu=
lb
went off in his head that it would be a good idea for him to buy those doma=
ins
as a business/artistic decision, then that's just a natural thing to do giv=
en
the stimulus at hand.

In this day and age competition is fierce in the business world, so one nee=
ds to

be aware of it and move forward strategically with vision, purpose and spee=
d.
There are no sacred cows. Humans have not yet evolved to the point where
everyone is altruistic and in tune with each others' wishes. Your provocati=
ve
documentation of the clubbing of seals in Africa just proves my point. Snat=
ching

a domain name is quite small, IMHO, to that grim action. But what does all =
of
this have to do with nature recording?

I suggest that we try to keep the discussions on this list the matters of t=
he
process of recording nature and the education thereof, which I believe is t=
he
charter of this group. Please leave the business aspects related to duking =
it
out off list.

BTW, I am not a conservative, nor am I a staunch proponent of capitalism. I=
 did,

however, invent the electron. So pay up folks, or I will shut off the flow =
and
you will have to record bird sounds on parchment! :*)

Peace!

- Greg