Re: Blumlein Pair / Ribbon Mics outdoors.

Subject: Re: Blumlein Pair / Ribbon Mics outdoors.
From: "Aaron Ximm" aaron_gmail
Date: Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:52 pm ((PDT))
I recorded this way (using MKH-800s in figure-8 mode) and had mixed results=
.

On the one hand, I found the stereo image very compelling -- personally I
prefer it to M/S. It felt more similar to what I am used to from
predominantly using binaural-style baffled omni techniques.

But on the other, as Greg says the effective 'overlay' of an inverted stere=
field on top of the nominal 'subject' field could be disconcerting and
produce confusing results. To counter that I would try to set up with
minimal 'rear' material but of course, the world did not always accommodate
my desires...

Rigging the 800s in the field for this was non-trivial, I wasn't able to do
true coincidence either, I had them side by side (in a DPA windpac) rather
than end to end. :/

aaron

--

  quietamerican.org