Trans Noise - Support Needed!!

Subject: Trans Noise - Support Needed!!
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:45 am ((PDT))
Thanks Supporters for the emails that are coming in!!!
  <send to type @ uwm.edu >

If we can get a 100 or more signatures, it will make a powerful
statement at the public meeting this Thursday.  The letter will be
asking the powerline developer-- 18 months before their application
goes in to the State-- to fund an independent study on animal
communication impacts near high voltage transmission lines as part of
their application. If they turn this down, its a win.

Please include a description of yourself indicating the number of
years experience you have in recording natural sounds.

The Committee will take my letter up to this Thursday 3:30 pm CST

Many thanks, Rob D.

  =3D =3D

At 10:02 AM -0500 3/16/11, Rob Danielson wrote:

> [...]
>transmission lines. Imagine it this way: 6- 1" diameter cables
>sweeping through 30 miles, 110-180 feet above marshlands, wetlands,
>grasslands, river bottoms, transition and mature wooded areas. Under
>these wires is a 150' wide clear-cut path that is sprayed with
>herbicide 2-3 times a year in wooded areas.
>
>Under dry conditions which are _much quieter_ than in high humidity
>and circa freezing conditions, the wires create, 24/7, a dense sheen
>of harmonic frequencies starting at 7 K Hz extending to 80 KHz or
>higher (I've read they use ultra-sonic detectors to confirm that its
>working correctly). The spikes are -8dB from the loudest element in
>the natural setting-- distant traffic. I'd have to check, but I'd
>guess that distant bird communications are typically -12 to -18dB
>under the ambient background sound level. If these numbers are even
>close, transmission mission noise creates significant masking of
>animal communication -- especially around 11K Hz. How far from the
>lines would masking happen? Using
><http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-air.htm>http://www.sengpielaudio.=
com/calculator-air.htm
>I get about 6dB loss
>per 100 feet. So assuming an additional drop in the noise of -12 db
>(-20 db total under background ambience) would still mask
>communications, we get 150' + 200' or 350 feet on both sides of the
>cables at 11 K hz. 700 feet =3D a 1/6 mile wide compromised
>communication strip from horizon to horizon.
>
>You tell me, would nesting couples that communicate in this range
>keep moving? The location I'm addressing is rare habitat but the
>whole area where the 210 mile long line would run is important
>habitat.
>
>As for determining "public necessity" for the double circuit 345Kv
>line, our studies suggest so far that the high capacity project is
>not needed. Electric use is down in Wisconsin-- as it is all over the
>US except in states where air conditioning is a major use. More
>here: <http://tinyurl.com/622za3r>http://tinyurl.com/622za3r
>
>=3D=3D DO YOU SUPPORT THIS POSITION ???=3D=3D
>
>If folks who have experience with spectrograms for birds can go
>through the list and mark species they know have rich Hz content from
>8-20K Hz on this spread sheet,
>
><<http://tinyurl.com/4jjcgkz>http://tinyurl.com/4jjcgkz><http://tinyurl.co=
m/4jjcgkz>http://tinyurl.com/4jjcgkz

>that would really help the case I'd like to start developing. Add bat
>and other species at the end and return it to me. Thanks!
>
>If you want to sign a request that the company needs fund a third
>study of potential animal communications and disturbing nesting
>habits, send me an email < <type%40uwm.edu> > The
>request has to go in by
>3pm today.
>
>Rob
>=3D =3D =3D
>
>At 12:21 PM +0000 3/16/11, neuroCO.UK wrote:
>>Hi Tom, I particularly look forward to that recording

om>
>>Sent: Wednesday, March 16, 2011 12:16 PM
>>To:
>><<naturerecordists%40yahoogroups.com>=