Re: Upgrade from Fostex FR2LE

Subject: Re: Upgrade from Fostex FR2LE
From: "Sean" rastasean83
Date: Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:35 pm ((PST))
Lots of good points made by oryoki

just a point of information but the dr680 can record up to eight tracks, fo=
ur being xlr inputs.

I suggest keeping the fr2LE and if you want to upgrade, get one of the soun=
d devices boxes. Of course, this is much more than your highest budget, but=
 they are built to last and a lot of sound recordists use them. Perhaps ins=
tead of upgrading the recorder, you can invest in microphones!

--- In  "oryoki2000" <> wrote:

> I doubt you can find a recorder that performs as well as your FR2LE for l=
ess than $800. (That's the price of the Tascam DR-680 4 channel recorder, w=
hich arguably is a better deal than the FR2LE.)

> Comparing the FR2LE with the Sony PCM-D50:
>
> -- the FR2LE has noticeably quieter preamps than the Sony PCM-D50 has. (S=
ee http://www.avisoft.com/recordertests.htm)  You will hear the D50's pream=
p more than the FR2LE's when recording in a quiet setting.

> -- the larger size of the FR2LE means space for XLR cable connectors and =
48V phantom power to mics, neither of which are available on the D50.

> -- the D50 requires Sony's proprietary Memory Stick Pro HG Duo flash memo=
ry cards.  The FR2LE uses Compactflash, and can use SD cards with an adapte=
r.

> -- the D50 does have smaller size and weight, better built-in mics than t=
he FR2LE has, and much longer battery life.

> I suggest keeping the FR2LE and your current mics for "critical recording=
" (whatever that might mean to you), and look at pocket size recorders like=
 the Sony PCM-M10 or Olympus LS-11 (either about $230) for point and shoot =
recording when the FR2LE is too much to bring along.

> --oryoki

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: