Re: microphone cable quality

Subject: Re: microphone cable quality
From: "James Shatto" wwwshadow7
Date: Wed Dec 1, 2010 4:50 pm ((PST))
It depends.=A0

How long of a cable?=A0 For short runs it probably doesn't matter much.

What environment?=A0 For noisy enviroments, computer rooms cell phone junky=
 clubs, near a radio or cell tower, a cable without sufficient shielding wi=
ll show it's stripes.=A0 Less of an issue when you distance yourself from t=
echnology, but those places are getting fewer and fewer these days.

I have a cheapie radio shack cable, the first one I ever bought.=A0 I hate =
it.=A0 Stiff as a coat hanger.=A0 Just unwinding it is a chore.=A0 I tend t=
owards mogami cables.=A0 Sufficient shielding and less problematic when unc=
oiling the spaghetti.

How do you plan to treat the cable?=A0 Draped across a roadway to be run ov=
er by vehicles.=A0 Across a room and under a rug for chairs and other thing=
s to press their girth on?=A0 Hangin from a ceiling or tree to have it's we=
ight supported by it's soldered joints?=A0 Lots of ways to shorten the life=
 of a cable, which might require getting the right / more expensive option.=
=A0 Or the cheap option for the disposable types.

And quite a lot of quality cable for a quality sound hype.=A0 The old do yo=
u want a $10 brake pad on=A0 your $200K car?=A0 Cables are one of the few a=
ccessories that I didn't buy used in my case.=A0 And oddly one that I have =
options on as well.=A0 But mainly because of the weight of them.=A0 2x 15' =
cables are WAY lighter than 2x 25' cables.=A0 And I'm thinking about gettin=
g some shorter ones since in practice I don't really need long cables for m=
ost of my current usage.

- James