Re: [Nature Recordists] Bird-voiced Treefrogs with Cattle

Subject: Re: [Nature Recordists] Bird-voiced Treefrogs with Cattle
From: corticalsongs <>

--- In  Rick Munday <> wrote:

> Very Nice!
>
> What did you record with?
>
> Did you add anything in post? I can't believe the depth!!!

I'm so glad you can hear the depth. After listening to this recording as I =
mixed
it down, I think my perception has flattened the recording. Almost like my=

familiarity with it has broken the illusion.

I used 2 x AT4022 in a parallel boundary array with a foam nose. The foam w=
as
added to some of the original array design to mimic the SASS. Some limited=

testing showed that it helped with localization, so I stuck with it. The mi=
cs
were set back from the edge of the boundary about 1/2 inch and the boundary=
 was
tapered to meet the foam. Recorder was a Tascam DR-680 set on high. Additio=
nally
I used fleece as a windscreen and an umbrella covered the rig in case it ra=
ined.
Niether addition had a dramatic effect on the acoustics as far as I can tel=
l.

I did not add anything to the recording in post, only did some necessary EQ=
tamp down some the insects as well as some notches to bring down the most
piercing trills from the frogs. Doing this really allowed the other frequen=
cies
to shine through which probably brought out some space. I have found EQ to =
be
essential.