Bird-voiced Treefrogs with Cattle

Subject: Bird-voiced Treefrogs with Cattle
From: "David Michael" corticalsongs
Date: Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:45 pm ((PST))
Hello

It's been a while since I have posted anything, so I thought I'd put
something up.

This past summer, while visiting family in Alabama, I nipped off to do
a bit of recording. After some quick research, I drove out to the
Sipsey River Swamp preserve near Tuscaloosa. The Sipsey River Swamp is
apparently one of the last wild free flowing swamp streams in Alabama
and is estimated to contain at least 50,000 acres of bottomland
hardwood wetlands. Having not explored the area before, I just set out
on one of the trails hoping to hit upon a good spot to drop the rig.
Off of one of the main access roads was a muddy, rutted out trail that
dead ended into a cypress swamp. Perfect. I set up the mics and set
them recording overnight. I had no idea what I might record, but there
were plenty of bird species around and the habitat looked incredibly
welcoming for amphibians.

I was pleasantly surprised later to find that I had setup my recorder
in the middle of a bird-voiced treefrog chorus. In fact, during the
height of the chorus, the shrill calls completely saturated my
recorder :( I am fairly sure they had used my mic tripod as a calling
perch. I was also quite surprised to find a section of the recording
with the calls of cattle!

In this excerpt from the recording, cattle call to one another from a
trail adjacent to a cypress swamp as bird-voiced treefrogs wind down
their chorus.  A few katydids call from the trees. Bull frogs, green
frogs, and a Cope's gray treefrog also make an appearance. A raucous
green treefrog chorus is barely audible in the distance.

http://soundcloud.com/dmichael/bird-voiced-treefrogs-with-cattle

David

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional