Re: ME67 handling noise progress update

Subject: Re: ME67 handling noise progress update
From: "Avocet" madl74
Date: Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:49 am ((PST))
Stephen,

What windshield are you using? Have you got a photo so I can suggest a
mount?

I've got the equivalent MKH 816, and the whole rig, pistol grip mount,
windgag and yeti, is quite heavy, and as I said before, I get muscle
noise from my arm going into the windgag, You really need a floppy
mount for the whole assembly and that could be an alternative, using
elastic. Try it.

In reverse order

> c) downgrade to a mic that's not so sensitive

No. It's a splendid wildlife mic. The more directional, the more
sensitive any mic will be to wind and handling noise.

> b) buy a proper shock mount (they seem very expensive, any
> suggestions?)

Look for spare Rycote lyre mount units which the sell as spares but
they won't be any better than the hat elastic type.

> a) build a better shock mount

Copy the original Rycote mount - it's no doubt out of patent by now
anyway. :-) The supports can be any bit of 1/4" aluminium and they
doen't have to be semi-circular. For the mic clips, look in plumbing
or electrical stores or make them out of warmed up bendable plastic
like thin sections of PVC drainpipe. Use hat elastic, as used by
Rycote, not the thinnest type but you can double that up - it's more
damped than elastic bands and doesn't twang. The length of each
elastic support should be about an inch and the tension should be
about half stretch. I can take s photo of mine if that would help.

David

David Brinicombe
North Devon, UK
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce