[Nature Recordists] Software for Linux

Subject: [Nature Recordists] Software for Linux
From: Kenton Brede <>
Date: Sunday, October 31, 2010, 8:01 AM

=C2=A0

       I've searched the archives and found a few discussions that mentione=
d Linux

but most of it is dated.  I don't know exactly what I need for editing

ambient nature recordings. From what I gather I need to use an equaliser to

modify frequencies to bring out certain sounds or dampen others. Does anyon=

have software recommendations for Linux? I see Reaper is used by a lot of

people, but it doesn't natively run on Linux.  I really don't want to mess

with running it in a virtual environment or in wine. I'm aware of some of

the software holdings for Linux but I'm not in a position yet to really

understand what I'm looking for.  I messed with audacity a bit but for EQ i=

seems like you can't modify the frequencies while you're listening.  Maybe

all software EQs are like that but it would be nice to tweak while listenin=

to the file.

Here are a few packages I think might be contenders:

http://www.energy-xt.com/index.php?id=3D0101

http://ardour.org/

http://www.renoise.com/

Any advice is appreciated thanks,