2. Re: Beginner Equipment Question

Subject: 2. Re: Beginner Equipment Question
From: "Dan Dugan" dandugan_1999
Date: Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:52 pm ((PDT))
> Most devices (cheap) that I've seen with PIP have terrible self noise.  E=
ven if the device provides PIP, using a battery box can really improve thin=
gs noise wise.

PIP is a consumer mic powering system, and of course you can find a lot of =
lousy mic preamps around. But don't blame PIP. There have always been recor=
ders with excellent PIP preamps around, too.

> From what I've heard a stronger voltage increases the dynamic range and t=
herefor the SNR.  Not that I'd want to apply 48V to a 5V device.

Increases the gain some and the headroom a lot. Concert tapers (recording i=
n incendiary SPLs) use up to 9V PIP, but I don't know if all mics can take =
that much. Mic headroom isn't very important for the levels we encounter in=
 nature recording. For nature a Volt or two is sufficient.

-Dan