Re: Blumlein shufflers?

Subject: Re: Blumlein shufflers?
From: "simmosonics" simmosonics
Date: Sun Oct 3, 2010 5:27 am ((PDT))
--- In  Paul Jacobson <> wrote:

> Wondering if anyone knew of a software blumlein shuffler other than the w=
aves s1 plugin?

Do you have iZotope's Ozone?

You can do shuffling with Ozone's EQ module by switching it into MS mode an=
d putting inverse boost/cuts at the same frequency. I recently used it to a=
lign the low frequencies of a tabla with its high frequencies. Using the EQ=
 module's inbuilt spectrum analyser as a guide, I set the LF shelving frequ=
ency and Q to ensure the shuffler was only affecting the bandwidth I was af=
ter (250Hz with a Q of 3.0, FWIW). The same settings were applied to the M =
and S signal paths. I boosted the S signal by 0.5dB and cut the M signal by=
 0.5dB; that's all that was needed to nudge the low frequency component of =
the larger drum of the tabla into line with the corresponding high frequenc=
y attack sound (hand slap).

If you don't have Ozone, you could achieve the same thing using two instanc=
es of Voxengos' MSED (free plugin download) and a two channel EQ plug in (m=
ake sure it is linear phase). The LR signal passes through the first MSED i=
nstance (which is set to encode LR into MS). Now, M and S pass through matc=
hing equalisers, but with inverse boost/cut relationships as explained abov=
e. Finally, the M and S signals from the equalisers pass through a second i=
nstance of MSED, set to decode the MS signals back to LR. That setup will a=
llow the width of selected frequencies to be adjusted relative to others. W=
orks well with recordings made with coincident pairs, not so good on near-c=
oincident methods.

- Greg Simmons