Re: Blumlein shufflers?

Subject: Re: Blumlein shufflers?
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Sun Oct 3, 2010 8:17 am ((PDT))
At 12:27 PM +0000 10/3/10, simmosonics wrote:

>--- In
><naturerecordists%40yahoogroups.com>=
m,
>Paul Jacobson <> wrote:
>
>>  Wondering if anyone knew of a software blumlein shuffler other
>>than the waves s1 plugin?
>
>Do you have iZotope's Ozone?
>
>You can do shuffling with Ozone's EQ module by switching it into MS
>mode and putting inverse boost/cuts at the same frequency. I
>recently used it to align the low frequencies of a tabla with its
>high frequencies. Using the EQ module's inbuilt spectrum analyser as
>a guide, I set the LF shelving frequency and Q to ensure the
>shuffler was only affecting the bandwidth I was after (250Hz with a
>Q of 3.0, FWIW). The same settings were applied to the M and S
>signal paths. I boosted the S signal by 0.5dB and cut the M signal
>by 0.5dB; that's all that was needed to nudge the low frequency
>component of the larger drum of the tabla into line with the
>corresponding high frequency attack sound (hand slap).
>
>If you don't have Ozone, you could achieve the same thing using two
>instances of Voxengos' MSED (free plugin download) and a two channel
>EQ plug in (make sure it is linear phase). The LR signal passes
>through the first MSED instance (which is set to encode LR into MS).
>Now, M and S pass through matching equalisers, but with inverse
>boost/cut relationships as explained above. Finally, the M and S
>signals from the equalisers pass through a second instance of MSED,
>set to decode the MS signals back to LR. That setup will allow the
>width of selected frequencies to be adjusted relative to others.
>Works well with recordings made with coincident pairs, not so good
>on near-coincident methods.
>
>- Greg Simmons

Hi Paul--

I'm not sure how closely my method resembles Blumlein's patch, bus as
Greg describes, I use EQ inserted between two MS plugs. I first
insert 18dB shelving EQ to the sides boosting from 0 Hz to around
250Hz even as high as 500Hz. I adjust the level to make the low
content on the sides quite obvious. Then I attenuate the exaggerated
frequencies on the sides with 2-5 narrow bands of parametric EQ. Then
I re-adjust the shelf blend to taste. Together, with prior parametric
notching of the exaggerated lower mid frequencies in the middle of
the field, the lowest octaves can sound more even across the stereo
field. A subtle, breathing quality can sometimes be coaxed out too.

As David pointed out a while back, there's an MS mode option with
APEQ that might allow one do what Greg is doing with iZotope.

I'd be happy to try my method on a sample file.

Enjoyed your recordings! The character of the energy feels so
different from the habitats I know well in North America.  There
seems to be very different "air" qualities in the two recordings.
Have any ideas about what accounts for this? Rob D.

  =3D =3D =3D