Re: A couple of recordings

Subject: Re: A couple of recordings
From: "Paul Jacobson" thebrunswicktwitcher
Date: Sun Oct 3, 2010 10:21 pm ((PDT))
Hi Vicki, Rob and all,

Thanks for the positive comments on the recordings.

The two robins were recorded near Mopoke Hut, in the Murray Sunset National=
 Park. It's a fairly remote location and only accessible by 4wd due to the =
sandy ridges  which are typical of the Mallee.  The area around the hut was=
 part of a pastoral lease and has been extensively cleared, although there =
are extensive areas of wilderness mallee nearby.  I'd have to guess the nea=
rest main road is 60km away, so there is no traffic noise. The downside is =
that the main air routes from Sydney to Adelaide and Perth pass directly ov=
er the park meaning 3-4 jets a hour near dusk and dawn. This particular rec=
ording was made on the top of a small rise that had a sparse covering of tr=
ees.

This photo isn't particularly good but was taken from the approximately pos=
ition of the mic rig, looking 90 degrees to the left of the mic's forward o=
rientation.  This should give an idea of the degree to which the area has b=
een cleared, and the almost total loss of understory.

http://www.urbanbirder.com.au/system/files/images/Mopoke%20Surrounds_0.jpg

In contrast the Pied Butcherbird recording was made between two lakes - Lak=
e Hattah and Lake Little Hattah.   The Hattah-Mournpall Lakes have received=
 11billion litres of environmental water flows this year and are currently =
close to full. The Lakes are surrounded by old River Red Gums with many you=
ng trees grown on the Lake beds.  Walking near the lakes the incredible amo=
unt of reverberation is immediately apparent with bird calls echoing off th=
e water and trees.

http://www.urbanbirder.com.au/victoria/hattah-kulkyne

I've put together a google map showing where the two recordings were made:

http://bit.ly/aEEwuu

cheers
Paul