Re: [Nature Recordists] portable power

Subject: Re: [Nature Recordists] portable power
From: Randy Perretta <>
=C2=A0
Hello Mark. First I must confess that I'm an ex-Xantrex Project Manager. =
=C2=A0I
don't want to use up forum bandwidth with the hum issue but feel free to em=
ail
me privately.
I just took a look at the=C2=A0Fostex Fr2le specs and while they didn't say=
 what the
current draw is, but if it can last 4 hours on 4 NiMh AAs, it can't be much=
.
=C2=A0I'd say the Xantrex box would be as good as idling. You can get an ea=
sy 12
hours out of it. =C2=A0Normally, with an inverter, I'd go spendy on the mic=
 cables -
2 center conductor. At 50 meters though, you're never going to have an issu=
with RF. They did pass EMC after all. I don't even think IR drops would be =
much
of an issue but I'd never buy 50 m of any kind of power without a lot of th=
ick
wire.
My only caution is that Xantrex, before being bought out by Schneider, suff=
ered
some hits in the small inverter market due to quality issues. Having said t=
hat,
I have one of those and it just keeps working.
Randy