Re: Hi Voltage Transmission Lines

Subject: Re: Hi Voltage Transmission Lines
From: "William" werainey
Date: Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:20 pm ((PDT))
Rob,
One of the consequences of transmission lines is bird strikes. A pdf dealin=
g with trials of bird strike detector might give you a starting point in th=
at literature:
www.energy.ca.gov/2007publications/CEC-500.../CEC-500-2007-076.PDF

The height of the towers and whether any of them will be illuminated for ai=
rcraft warning substantially affects mortality. A site focussed on free sta=
nding towers and lighting effects of birds may be helpful:
www.towerkill.org

Hissing or buzzing noises and sometimes weak erratic local illumination fro=
m corona discharge is a common observation on transmission lines in the SF =
Bay area. Though the wildlife consequences of this are uninvestigated AFAIK=
, the sound from corona discharge is, not surprisingly, fairly wide band an=
d extends well into the ultrasonic. This seems crudely analogous to a plasm=
a arc speaker. Bat detectors respond substantially around corona discharge =
and  industrial diagnostic tools for detecting corona discharge (insulation=
 faults,etc.) are ultrasound detectors:

http://www.sdt.be/index.php?page=3Dapplications-uaipm-detection_and_examina=
tion_of_electrical_effects

There are quite a lot of data on the corridor effects mentioned in the prev=
ious response.

Bill R.