Re: Hi Voltage Transmission Lines

Subject: Re: Hi Voltage Transmission Lines
From: "Mark Brennan" markbrennanfinear=
Date: Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:51 pm ((PDT))

Hi Rob, what you see when a corridor like this goes in, it is a complete ch=
ange
of habitat for the ecosytem. It also fractures the wilderness area. Some fo=
rest
dwelling species do not like to cross open spaces and the gene pool becomes=

weaker, I would assume it would be the same with waterfowl.
=C2=A0
I have also seen an increase in use of motorized vehicles into the corridor=
,
like ATV=E2=80=99s, ORV=E2=80=99s, ARGO=E2=80=99s etc. This brings a whole =
new problem like the spread
of alien plant species, noise etc and a spider web of trails that eventuall=
runs through a once protected space, giving humans access into watersheds (=
lakes
and rivers) this would include increased hunting pressure, damage to waterw=
ays
etc.
=C2=A0
The management of the corridor can also be a problem, some companies manage=
 the
subsequent regrowth by using herbicides, again with it=E2=80=99s own effect=
s on the
eco-system. If you added up the total space the corridor would take up, it =
would
likely amount to a sizeable chunk of the protected area.
=C2=A0
I cant help in the way of recordings but there was a case here in Nova Scot=
ia
when a gas pipeline was going through the province. They wanted to go throu=
gh
old growth forests where a wilderness retreat for children was located. It =
ended
up going to court and the retreat won the case. Most often though Governmen=
ts
and Environment Departments just pay lip service to those with environmenta=
concerns, we are a small pain in the behind to the wheels of the big machin=
e.
Any campaigns like this I have been involved in over the years have been fo=
ught
in the media and immense pressure on elected politicians, no big company li=
kes
negative attention.

=C2=A0
If you do your homework there would be be studies out there done by reputab=
le
groups that can give you an indication of the effects of something like thi=
s.
But beware, the company who want to put in the power line will have their o=
wn
studies.

=C2=A0
Best of luck,