[Nature Recordists] High frequency recording

Subject: [Nature Recordists] High frequency recording
From: Christine Hass <>
Date: Monday, September 6, 2010, 12:08 AM

=C2=A0

      Hi,

I'm a biologist interested in obtaining sound recordings of a social

carnivore, the white-nosed coati.  These raccoon relatives live in the

tropical and subtropical forested regions, and live in family groups of up

to 40 (or more) animals.  The are quite vocal, and emit a variety of grunts=
,

chirps, and squeals.  Very little analysis has been done on their

vocalizations, and all of that in zoos where they don't vocalize much.  Wha=

has been discovered is that their vocalizations range from 5 kHz to 55 kHz,

posing difficulties for field recording.

I'm new to sound recording, but have been trying to figure out the best (an=

most affordable) way to record and analyze these sounds.  I need lightweigh=

but durable equipment, as I may have to hike in long distances to get to th=

groups.  I spent some time perusing the old messages on this listserv, whic=

was very helpful.  It sounds like I might be able to get away with a

recorder such as the Korg MR-2 or Tascam DR-680.  The messages regarding th=

higher range recordings from the "standard" mics, such as the Sennheiser

MKH20 were particularly interesting, as I thought I might have to hunt down

a wideband mic to cover 1-100 kHz.  But I don't want to plop down > $1000

for a mic to discover it didn't quite cover the range I need.   This is all

for analytic purposes, not for producing professional sound recordings, if

that makes any difference.

I'm looking for suggestions, primarily for mics that will cover the

necessary range and still be affordable (under $2k, preferable under $1k),

but I also welcome any other suggestions regarding equipment and techniques=
.

Thanks,

Chris

Vail, AZ