Re: Re. electrical interference

Subject: Re: Re. electrical interference
From: "chrishails50" chrishails50
Date: Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:51 am ((PDT))

Hello Steve,

I have a Fostex FR2LE, I do not know the Marantz. I have never found interf=
erence a problem. I have heard clicks when standing too close (within 5 met=
res) of electric cattle fences, and cracklings from high-tension overhead d=
istribution cables - but in both cases this came through the microphone and=
 could have been audio not electrical. I have recorded standing next to my =
car battery with no problems.

Some thoughts for you: if you buy the Fostex you will need a mic - the Fost=
ex internal mics are completely useless in my view, and you may want a dire=
ctional mic to point it at sources where you will not be able to run your c=
hair. Although your motors are quiet I think you may find you would want to=
 be stationary when you record (so maybe the electrics will then be "off" ?=
), our brains filter out a lot of background noise which you then hear quit=
e clearly on a recording (eg noise from your tyres, or creaks from the chai=
r). Some cleverly mounted brackets on your chair could keep your gear very =
handy whilst you cruise looking for suitable sounds.

Good luck !

Chris

--- In  "Steve L" <> wrot=
e:

> Hello,
> I came on here several months ago to help me learn about audio. I read th=
e messages and then google what I don't know.  For many years I used to be =
heavily into photography but became disabled and now can't handle the weigh=
t of the gear and I have issues with my eyes.  I can't capture images so wa=
nt to begin capturing sound, initially ambient and then nature.  I'm consid=
ering either a Fostex  fe2 le or a Marantz 661 but have some questions whic=
h I'm sure someone on here can help me with which I can't find the answer t=
o anywhere else.

> When out I spend most of my time in a power wheelchair which has four ele=
ctric motors which are powered by two large 12 v batteries (car size).  The=
re isn't a great deal of sound from the motors and I'm most concerned at an=
y possible electrical interference.

> Could someone please tell me if either of the two mentioned recorders wou=
ld have issues being used on my lap so close to the wheelchair electrics, i=
f the problems would be just when the chair is moving or if it would also b=
e a problem if I'm stopped but using the recorder so close to the batteries=
.  Lastly if there is likely to be a problem would one recorder be better t=
han the other at coping with it or if perhaps there is anything I will be a=
ble to buy to resolve problems.

> Thanks very much..Steve.

sound is worth a thousand pictures." R. Murray Schafer via Bernie Krause

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: