4. Re: m/s processing

Subject: 4. Re: m/s processing
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:23 pm ((PDT))
At 12:56 AM +0000 8/28/10, hartogj wrote:
>  Hi Rob,
>
>I have another question. To enhance sense of depth, are you applying
>eq to the Mid or the Side? I know you have explained this before, so
>maybe I should search the archives.

Hi John--
Both but usually first and most-- parametric notching to the
exaggerated lower mids 90-400 Hz or so (not with HP roll-off
filtering!)

>I have not looked into possibilities of matrix plugs to use with
>Audition yet, but it would be nice to be able to listen to the final
>LR result as the adjustments in MS are being made.

That's very doable.

>At least I think I now have the basic idea for how to set up MS
>processing in the multi-track.
>
>Here's the steps I have come up with for MS processing in Audition.
>If this is mixed up, I hope somebody will comment. Or maybe there is
>a better way.
>
>Place the same recording in the first three tracks. Track 01 is
>reserved for the original for easy reference. Track 02 will be the
>Mid and Track 03 the Side.

You might be pleased to learn there's also a considerably easier way
using plug inserts with your poly stereo original.

>Open an effect rack for Track 02. To make the Mid channel, add a
>Channel Mixer effect with New Left Channel set to L(50) R(50) and
>New Right Channel set to L(0) R(0). Also add what ever processing
>you need for the Mid.
>
>Open an effect rack for Track 03. To make the Side channel, add a
>Channel Mixer effect with New Left Channel set to L(0) R(0) and New
>Right Channel set to L(50) R(-50). Also add what ever processing you
>need for the Side.
>
>Bounce a Mixdown of Tracks 02 and 03 to Track 04.
>
>Open an effect rack for Track 04. To convert the MS back to LR, add
>a Channel Mixer effect with New Left Channel set to L(100) R(100)
>and New Right Channel set to L(100) R(-100).
>
>Mixdown Track 04 for the final LR.
>
>Well it seems to workout anyway, that without any eq added the final
>is the same as the original.

A clean patch if not an elegant one!

If I get a chance tonight, I'll make a small demo session in Reaper
that you can play with and probably re-create in Audition once you
see how the inserts work.  (Reaper is free for the first 30 days, $50
afterwards and is cross-platform).

Could you see if you can download Tom Erbe's freesound bundle
including +matrix and install the plugs in your system audio?  That
might be a boon to the effort in any case. http://tinyurl.com/2cvoox9
(PC)  http://music.ucsd.edu/~tre/soft/SFS602.dmg (MAC)

Maybe someone can do a sample Audition session with +matrix. Rob D.