3. Re: m/s processing

Subject: 3. Re: m/s processing
From: "hartogj" hartogj
Date: Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:56 pm ((PDT))
Hi Rob,

I have another question. To enhance sense of depth, are you applying eq to =
the Mid or the Side? I know you have explained this before, so maybe I shou=
ld search the archives.

I have not looked into possibilities of matrix plugs to use with Audition y=
et, but it would be nice to be able to listen to the final LR result as the=
 adjustments in MS are being made. At least I think I now have the basic id=
ea for how to set up MS processing in the multi-track.

Here's the steps I have come up with for MS processing in Audition. If this=
 is mixed up, I hope somebody will comment. Or maybe there is a better way.

Place the same recording in the first three tracks. Track 01 is reserved fo=
r the original for easy reference. Track 02 will be the Mid and Track 03 th=
e Side.

Open an effect rack for Track 02. To make the Mid channel, add a Channel Mi=
xer effect with New Left Channel set to L(50) R(50) and New Right Channel s=
et to L(0) R(0). Also add what ever processing you need for the Mid.

Open an effect rack for Track 03.  To make the Side channel, add a Channel =
Mixer effect with New Left Channel set to L(0) R(0) and New Right Channel s=
et to L(50) R(-50). Also add what ever processing you need for the Side.

Bounce a Mixdown of Tracks 02 and 03 to Track 04.

Open an effect rack for Track 04.  To convert the MS back to LR, add a Chan=
nel Mixer effect with New Left Channel set to L(100) R(100) and New Right C=
hannel set to L(100) R(-100).

Mixdown Track 04 for the final LR.

Well it seems to workout anyway, that without any eq added the final is the=
 same as the original.

John Hartog