Re: ORTF Recommendations

Subject: Re: ORTF Recommendations
From: "clay" dan.cesonrocks
Date: Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:57 pm ((PDT))
Rob,

what do you mean by stationary arrays (as mentioned in #6)?

Thanks very much for your comments, I especially agree with number 10.  :)

I"ve not really recorded any other way than mono, binaural or Mid-Side, but
it occurred to me (after hearing about Marcus' preference), that ORTF could
be seen as more like binaural than like coincident.  Given that (thought),
I'm not surprised that the stereo image might be more pronounced (i.e. more
easily discernable) as you describe in #5.

Further following that line of thought, it seems to me though that the
accuracy of the soundstage would then be (more) tightly coupled to the
playback mechanism (as is the case with binaural) than would coincident
arrays.

As for accuracy (of soundstage), I'll admit to not having a clue about any
sort of standardized view on soundstage accuracy - seems to me it's a prime
example of "beauty is in the eye of the beholder".

Am I waay off-base?  I'm much more of a listener (aka audiophile) than
recordist. and hoping to learn more.

thanks
Clay