Proud Owner of A New Sony D50!

Subject: Proud Owner of A New Sony D50!
From: "scratchpaws" scratchpaws
Date: Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:12 pm ((PDT))
Well, thanks to all the input from this group and Mr. Michael Oster's site =
at f7sound.com, I purchased the D50 last week.

So, because of Group generosity, I'll be posting on recording progress and =
the machine as I go, in hopes that I can help someone who is where I was ju=
st a few days ago---adrift and lost on the dark, murky audio sea.

Well, I'm still somewhat lost; however, first report.

So far, this thing rocks.
Menu fairly straight forward. If you understand "drop down" style menus, it=
's a cakewalk.

Powered it up, set it to 96 kHz/24 bit, got in a quiet room, wrapped it in =
multiple layers of thick blankets, and recorded twenty seconds of "noise fl=
oor..."

Recording is a breeze.

What noise floor? My rock and roll ears didn't hear much. This thing appear=
s to be quiet as a mouse.

Making windscreens, will report on them later. Same with "soundproof" umbre=
lla.

However, recorded one minute of audio at the 96/24 setting. Wow! Massive fi=
le, something like 35 mb. Since my recordings will be several minutes long,=
 I have a question.

I'll be creating nothing but mp3 files, VBR between 170-210 kbps. So what i=
f I come off the 96/24 .wav record setting and drop down to 48/24 or someth=
ing like that---even 44.1/24? Or, would I have a better quality mp3 file if=
 I stay up at the 96.24 .wav record setting before creating the mp3s?

Thanks again for everyone's help. As Arnold says: "I'll be back" when I hav=
e more to report on this machine.